The Multicultural Center is now located in the lower level of the Rice Memorial Student Center. Roland Smith, ED. oversees the Office of Diversity and Inclusion and the Multicultural Center, while Dr. Ijeoma Nwaogu is in charge of programming and managing the space.
The Multicultural Center aims to support the vision of Rice University by providing a dedicated space where a diverse array of the Rice community can work together and collaborate on programming to enhance Rice’s efforts at diversity and inclusion. Programming strives to enrich the experience and improve the retention of our diverse student populations, particularly those who come from backgrounds that have been continuously underrepresented in higher education.
- Cultivate a diverse and inclusive community for students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
- Encourage cross-cultural interactions.
- Build awareness of social justice, the politics of inclusion and diversity.
Reserving Center Space:
Please note that reservation requests are granted on a first-come, first-served basis, but all reservations must conform to the Multicultural Center mission. To avoid conflicts and provide others with ample notice, we ask that you, please make reservation requests a minimum of 48 hours in advance. We cannot guarantee that requests made less than 48 hours in advance will be processed. You may reserve the...
- Conference Table Space
- Large Lounge Space for a Club Meeting, or
- Entire Space for Very Special Programs
The rules are as follows:
- Please make requests a minimum of 48 hours in advance.
- Furniture must be returned to its original place before departing the center.
- Trash must be picked up and placed in the appropriate receptacle(s).
- Failure to clean and reset the space will result in a $250 maintenance fee charged to the reserving organization.
Study carrels and other spaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis. The Multicultural Center is open whenever the Student Center is open. Larry Garvey may be found in the Center Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, unless otherwise posted.
To put in a request, please complete this form.